I don't understand how changing regulations and payment models will influence my patient outcomes or if we are even tracking them in a reliable and valid way.
Consonus can help you understand and prepare for changing regulations and payment models as well as educate you on the value of understanding the relationship between outcomes and costs. Consonus can track, manage and communicate both.
Scroll to See How
The influence that our industry has on the area of outcomes is just part of the overall transformation mandated in the Affordable Care Act.
The American Health Care Association (AHCA) and the National Association for the Support of Long Term Care (NASL) were jointly engaged in a pilot study to validate several proprietary tools against the same functional mobility and self-care items included in the CMS Post-Acute Care Payment Reform Demonstration (PAC-PRD).
Quality Measures for changes in
The Care Tool
We have utilized the CARE tool to collect Functional Independence data for tens of thousands of patients that we will continue to monitor.
Using CARE Item Sets Consonus tracks patients' functional changes in Self-Care and Mobility tasks from admission to discharge. Maximizing this improvement while balancing costs is the true measurement of the VALUE of rehab. This information can be used to help determine appropriate lengths of stay, measure the effectiveness of clinical protocols and justify therapy delivery models.
COMMITMENT TO TRAINING TO ENSURE ACCURATE use of the care tool
All full/part time staff complete:
- Hours of Training
- Passing score
National Data Repository from Outcome Measures
View how our clinical data compares to the national average, based on the database of therapy EMRs and providers in the post-acute arena.
Episodic Project Summary
Now that we have Functional Outocme Data, we can ensure the quality of our clinical product while experimenting with operational practices under alternative payment models.
These are the levers we are adjusting‐
- Gym Space – Reorganize the gym spaces using lean management concepts for improved efficiency.
- Equipment – Review equipment needs and purchased additional equipment to facilitate group treatment models.
- Documentation – Identifies best practice patterns to meet the requirements of a Managed Care payer while maintaining efficiency standards.
- Rehab Aides – Supplemental non-skilled services using the Rehab Aide. Measuring effect on cost and outcomes.
- Total Minutes Delivered – Comparing the relationship it has on outcomes and cost.
- Rehab creates labor tracking for Rehab Aide to measure minutes delivered.
- Managed Care Efficiency reports – This allows us to track the type of services delivered by individual patients under the specific Managed Care payer.
- LOS – Able to compare the data by site, payer and diagnosis.
- Internal cost reports allow us to measure our total Episodic Cost (filtered by facility, payer, and daignosis), Cost per day, and Outcomes Efficiency (cost per point of improvement on the CARE score).
We were approached by a health network in WA to manage two DRGs (in 9 days), so we quickly developed a unique protocol to meet their needs. We categorized those patients in our system so we could deliver the outcome scores in a reporting format that could be delivered to payer sources.